We all dread when flu season is among us. The flu viruses can infect the nose, throat, and lungs and can cause a wide range of health issues. Sinus and ear infections are examples of moderate complications from flu. Then there is pneumonia that is a more serious side effect of the flu virus.The CDC says the single best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu vaccination every year. The following list of tips are helpful ways to prevent the flu, or keep your risk low of contracting the flu virus.
Flu Season precautions
1. Avoid close contact if you are sick or with anyone who is sick.
Its always best to keep your distance from anyone who is sick. The same goes for if you are the one sick, so as to not pass it on to others
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when sneezing. The flu and other serious respiratory illness are caught by cough, sneezing and dirty hands.
3. Stay away from people and or work if you are sick.
For some of us staying home when being sick is not a problem. However, there are some people who will show up to work no matter what. For the health and safety of co-workers and yourself; stay at home if you have the flu. There’s no need to make things worse for yourself and spread sickness to others.
4. Wash your Hands
I think this goes without saying but, always wands your hands. Even when you are not sick; wash you hands. You’ll find that this is best practice to prevent illness in the first place.
5. Don’t touch your eyes, mouth, or nose
When germs spread during flu season this is how it is done. So always be cognizant of what you are doing when putting your hands around your face.
Keep your house and work space clean
The best way to reduce your risk of exposure at home or at work is use basic hygienic measures; wash hands, don’t touch face, clean work and home environment. Although, it’s always best to simply minimize exposure to anyone who has the flu. Furthermore, if you work in a job that involves contact with patients or other healthcare services, then you may need to take additional precautions, such has a flu vaccination. Below are some simple reminder that will get you through the flu season with a much better chance of not exposing yourself to any illness.
Quick tips for a clean environment:
- Use alcohol based cleaning products when washing your hands.
- Keep all hard surfaces wipes down with antibacterial solution that kills germs
- Wipe down all cellphones, tablets, light switches, keyboards, etc
- Keep house clean thoroughly. Call Ruggeek if you need carpet or upholstery cleaning services. We use hypoallergenic and antibacterial solutions.
- Don’t drink after anyone
- Don’t use other people phones or equipment
- Go to the doctor if you are sick especially, if you are high risk (pregnant, elderly, low immune system, etc)
*Always remember this information is not a standard regulation and is just guidance to minimize sickness and passing on illness. Whenever in doubt, always seek the opinion and knowledge of a medical professional.